Each home will have identified champions in the following areas
| MCA DOLS Safeguarding|
End of Life
*please note your home may have additional champions based on local or specific needs
- Promote the understanding of knowledge of your chosen area to all team members
- Promote independence, well-being and quality of care/life for all people living at the home
- Raise concerns and issues where necessary in order to highlight and change poor practice
- Act as an educator and offering guidance and training whenever possible to all team members
Personal Qualities of Champions:
| · A true passion for delivering high quality care to those living in the home|
· Displays initiative
· Self-aware and emotionally intelligent
· To be able to acknowledge and respond to constructive criticism
· Ability to see beyond the task and routine and to understand individual needs and wants.
· Drive to educate themselves and others
· Show respect for people
· Good communicator which includes being a good listener
| · Understanding, caring and compassionate|
· Willing to get involved in discussion
· Sense of humour
· Assertive but not aggressive
· Receptive to change
· Have a commitment to learn and develop
· Leadership – not necessarily be in a leader role, but lead by example
· Relate to others in a collaborative way.
- Lead by example and be prepared to nurture colleagues
- Communicate effectively with family members and friends as well as other professionals
- Involve people being supported in their own care
- Enable positive risk tasking
- Gather and provide information to people by being prepared to organise and lead meetings
- Respect the needs of families, carers and friends of people who access services.
- Be prepared to whistle blow and report safeguarding issues whenever necessary
- Ensure effectiveness – does what you do make a difference
- Be professional
- Work hard to change unacceptable cultures - promote establish a positive culture
- Display leadership and have a knowledgeable attitude
- Continue with relevant and appropriate training/ activities which develop your knowledge and experience.
- Influence and inform colleagues on challenges in your chosen area and drive implementation of change.